29 May, 2011
1. Aaj socha to aansoo bhar aaye - Hanste Zakhm-Lata Mangeshkar-Madan Mohan-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a4U0nhfdvU
2. Abke Na Sawan Barse song - Kinara http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrZcovsvevM
3. Ang se ang - Elaan 1971- Lata Mangeshkar - http//youtu.be/6s7SiofRCuQ
4. Awaaz de ke hame tum bulao... Singer:Lata & Rafi; Music director:Shankar Jaikishan; Movie: Professor (1964). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT7yKa3UMis. In the sthai, it is pure shivranjani, which makes this song rather sad. In antaara, occasional shudh Ma has been used to make it more mellow. The saxophone haunts- That was Manohari Singh. He's done outstanding pieces in several songs- mujh ko is raat ki tanhai, humsafar mere humsafar, be-dardi balma tujhko, aji rooth kar ab, tere mere sapne, aage bhi jaane na tu, and many many more.
5. Baharon Phool Barsao - Rajendra Kumar & Vyjayanthimala http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=McP9D114BfU
6. Banake Kyun Bigada Re - Zanjeer (1973) http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bJM44G_-2k
7. Bheega Bheega Mausam Aaya http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_REqYxSAZU Lovely rendition. Nice to note that Hemalata found favour not just with Ravindra Jain but with Usha Khanna as well.
8. Chumma Chumma - Pataal Bhairavi http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jlk1K7-q4M
9. Dhak Dhak Karne Laga - Beta (720p HD Song) http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7qi_KvUvdQ - BETA - we blame newer MDs for not paying attention to melody... Shivaranajani in 1992...High quality recording and upload with very good stereo separation. The flute is outstanding.
10. Dil Ke Jharoke Mein- Brahmachari http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fq1K-Eax_E music director Shankar was a genius with Piano. This song and "Dost dost na raha" from Sangam were tailor made songs for the Piano. Shankar was also a genius with orchestration. All SJ songs with an orchestral base are Shankar's creations. Brahmachari was entirely Shankar. Jaikishan was more melodic and did the soft Rafi/Lata/Mukesh numbers for Rajendra Kumar / Dev Anand , etc
11. Dil Ne Phir Yaad Kiya:Mohd.Rafi, Suman Kalyanpur &Mukesh
12. Do naino main ansoo bhare hain film khushboo http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0-xbt_yrK4
13. Ghanana Ghanana " Lagaan" Aamir Khan and Gracy Singh
14. Jaana Tha Humse Door Bahane Bana Liye - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5Ai5Q7tpAQ Lata Mangeshkar in the film "Adalat". The strings section is an amazing, hair raising experience. Cellos sunke mere rom khade ho gaye. An outstanding composition by Madan Mohan.
15. Jaane kahan gaye woh din... Singer:Mukesh; Music director:Shankar Jaikishan; Movie: Mera Naam Joker (1970) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_6j2jnVt5k.
16. Jaane kyon log Mohabbat kiya karate hain-Lata
17. Kahin Deep Jale Kahin Dil....." Singer Lata Mangeshkar; Music Hemant Kumar Movie Bees Saal Baad (1962) http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=arKGS-RvfYY&feature=youtu.be Again,the mystery and deapth comes from the simultaneous use of both shudh and komal Ga, which is a very frequent occurrence in this raag, and of course, expressing Re.
18. Kai sadiyon se kai janmon se http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toUlg7lvUBo
19. Khabar mori na lini re...bahut din beete... Singer:Lata; Music director:Laxmikant Pyarelal; Movie:
20. Laage Na Mora Jiya - Ghunghat  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRTOZ2Mh6kw In this song Komal Dha has been used instead of shuddh Ga in the expression of raag Shivranjani, and SJ has done a beautiful job on this composition.
21. Mera pyar bhi tu hai- Mukesh & Suman Kalyanpur- Saathi -Music: Naushad http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFY94N0FDzk&feature=related
22. Mere Naina Sawan Bhado....." Singer: Kishore Kumar; Music R.D. Burman Movie: Mehbooba (1976) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlHYtaa-lnE&feature=youtu.be - Mishra Shivranjani
23. Meri laaj raakho girdhari main laakh jatan kar haari Lata Mangeshkar BHABHI Kl CHUDIYAN (1961).avi http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtGwWov8ibc
24. Meri qismat me tu nahin shayad - Prem Rog -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VPrRirnFgc
25. Meri Qismat Mein Tu Nahin - Rishi Kapoor - Padmini Kolhapure - Prem Rog - Evergreen Bollywood Hits http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VPrRirnFgc Very nice song. just a touch of Ga in aaroah and a touch of Ni in avroah to beautify the song! Aalaap of Lata ji from 1:06 to 1:22 gives goose bumps... Also from 2:00 to 2:13
26. Mile na phool to kanto se dosti karli-Mohd Rafi-Anokhi Raat-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRDbDyQuOCM Isi tarah se basar humne zindgai karli - Anokhi Raat ko khile is phool se Shivranjani ki mehak mili.
27. Milti hai zindgi main mohabbat kabhi kabhi - Ankhen - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uL7DVQYJI0 Nice song, but as we can see it loses touch of Shivranjani because of frequent use of Ni and Ma in avroh. Ni and ma are sparingly used in Shivranjani and they can really beautify the raag if the focus remains on Dha, Pa, Ga* and Re. with the use of Ni, you can feel the similarity of this song and 'meri kismat mein tu nahin shayad'
28. Milti hai zindgi main mohabbat kabhi kabhi - Ankhen - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uL7DVQYJI0
29. More naina sawan bhadon -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOH8gdViwSw a song that comes as close to SHIVRANJANI as it can be. V. Bulsara is an unsung composer, and the story is that Lata flew to Calcutta at her own expense to record this song because she liked it so much; while Balsara & the producer didn't have monies to pay her. These are two different songs from two different movies; 'more naina sawan bhadon' and 'mere naina sawan bhadon', on same Raag.
30. Mujhe kuch kehna hai http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzNmIhYjeJs
31. Na Jaiyo Pardes - Anil Kapoor, Jackie Shroff & Poonam Dhillon - Karma Raag Shivranjani seems to be favored by the newer composers, in different styles... the quantum leap backwards in melody? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIPDX-zQY34&playnext=1&list=PLDB8E3A1854783352
32. Na kisi ki ankh ka noor hoon (Muhammad Rafi) http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jk7xjCfcf-Q
34. O Mere Sanam O Mere Sanam - Sangam - Mukesh - Lata Mangeshkar http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=EagBXY4TqKI What makes it so beautiful is; Sa re Ga*, Sa Re Ga in aaroah, and Ga Ga* Re Sa in avroh; a sequence that is used often in Shivranjani to enhance its beauty and expression. '* 'determines komal swar.- ONE OF THE BEST OF SHANKAR JAIKISHEN.
35. Piya Milan Ki Aas--Lata Mangeshkar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llLLU38tCk8&feature=player_embedded This is PURE SHIVRANJANI, i.e. Sa, Re, Ga*, Pa, Dha in aaroh and averoh. No other notes have been added that enhance its beauty like Ga, Tivra Ma, Dha* or Ni. Please listen to this song and you will enjoy Shivranjani in its PUREST form.
36. Pyar ke pal chin, Lata Mangeshkar, S N Tripathi, Movie Kunwari http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7CY9ybW2fm
37. Pyar ke Pal Chin, Talat Mehmood, S N Tripathi, Kunwari- http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwyCPMbwg6A A very rare gem in Raag SHIVRANJANI composed by Sr. SN TRIPATHI and sung beautifully by TalaT ji. This is again almost pure form of this raag except for a slight touch of Ma in aavroh.
38. Rang aur noor ki baarat kise pesh karron - Ghaza- Mohd Rafi -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4t3IQx5U_A not puriya Dhanashri where sampoorn raga, aaroh and avroh ie Sa, Re* Ga Ma^ Pa Dha* Ni(*for komal, ^ for tivra. In this Ghazal there is Sa Re Ga* Ga Pa Dha. There is no Ma or Ni, which makes it raag shivranjani.
39. Rhim Jhim Ke Geet Sawan Gaaye, Rafi and Lata, movie Anjana-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdmoTd0rDK8
40. Sajan Aajao - Neelam & Chunky Pandey - Aag Hi Aag 1987 http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BQ_pHDQzbc
41. Sansaar hai ik nadia, raftaar, Mukesh and Asha, sonic-omi-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pOoIrDG7Lc
42. Tere Mere Beech Me.... Singer Lata Mangeshkar n S.P.Balasubramaniam Music Laxmikant-Pyarelal; Movie Ek Duje Ke liye (1981) sounds like Sohini at places but dominant as Sivaranjani. Perhaps the usage of some common progression of notes in both gives rise to such effect.
43. TOD DIYA DIL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8NphUsssxU Lata says when she was ready to record this song, Naushad, the composer said to her that she must kept in her mind the style of Noor Jehan in singing this song. Lata tried her best! Different from his style, Naushad got inspiration for this song from Khurshid Anwar's song - mere mundere na bol ja kaga kaga ja - Suraiya in film Parwana 1947: This is one example how a composition can almost lose touch of the raag by one SINGLE NOTE! This raag starts with Shuddh Ga, the note that is ONLY to be used sparingly to enhance the expression of raag Shivranjani. Naushad makes this note as the primary note and uses komal Ga as a secondary note to create the sadness (turns it exactly opposite of Shivranjani). Rest of the song pretty much follows Shivranjani. There are two lessons to be learned from this; 1. how this song has lost its touch from Shivranjani because of one single note (try to hum this song and say "laage na mora jiya" or "mere naina sawan bhadon"; you will notice how this song sounds so much different from other Shivranjani compositions). 2. Sadness can still be created in this way, but at the expense of a significant loss ot the expression of the raag.
44. Tumhein Dekhti hoon to lagata hai aise (full song) Tumhare Liye - Lata Mangeshkar - Sanjeev Kumar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9imljtd9QAQ Muraliya samajh kar mujhe tum utha lo, Bas ek baar hothon se apne laga lo na, Ek baar hothon se apne laga lo na, Koi sur to jaage meri dhadkano mein...may be they have limitations for length of song in the actual movie - jaidev sahab was assistant to the great s.d.burman dada. he had some great film scores. "hum dono", "do boond pani" "reshma aur shera" and few others. all the scores were just wonderful.- he was an expert at true "compositions" - not just create a gr8 tune & rpt antaras & mukhdas... tu chanda mai chandni...
45. Tumse Milkar Na Jaane Kyun (Sad) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogtECvoxQ-8
46. Tumse Milkar Na Jane Kiyon Aur Bhi Kuch Yaad Aata Ha http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZXVKfZbKUw
47. Yaad Teri Aayegi Mujku Bara Sataeyg Gee... Ek Jaan Hain Hum.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wlbiCcnut8&playnext=1&list=PL13ECF4DE28F491CA
48. Zara Samne To Aao Chaliye, Rafi and Lata, Movie Janam Janam Ke Phere-http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtX8KCqGp7Q composed by SN TRIPATHI. Beauty of the song is enhanced by adding a very slight touch of Ni and Ma in avaroh. This song was rated the best song of 1958 by producers of Binaca Geet Mala, who were the poineers of Hindi Filmi music during those days; Mr. Tripathi, Like Raj Kapoor and SJaikishan favored this raga..
1. Ghum Nahin, Ghulam Ali, Ghazal
2. Jo bhi dukh yaad na tha, yaad aya - A Ghazal by Ghulam Ali
1. Raga Shivranjani Description very nice link that describes raag Shivranjani. Everyone should watch this to learn basics of this raag.- one uses shudh gandhar in addition to komal gandhar in Shivranjani - only one note differs between Bhoopali and Shivranjani yet they sound so so different!